Thursday, September 7, 2017

A muse

Most people consider being a muse, one of the most compelling and true compliments.  It is!  Imagine that someone thinks so much of you, that you inspire poetry or art or a story, even fashion.  I have been and am a muse to more than one person.  I am honored that I could be such a source of inspiration.  I can't begin to explain how incredible it makes me feel that I touched someone's psyche and creativity so much that it has inspired poetry, art, and even a book. 

Some of the most incredible pieces of art in history were inspired by a muse.  Some of the greatest poetry written and some of the greatest books... also inspired by A muse.  (Klimt, Whitman, Hemingway, Picasso, Goethe, Van Gogh, Poe, Byron, Anais Nin, Dickens, Lagerfeld, Chanel)  Some of the biggest fashion trends were a result of A muse.  The key word I keep using was 'A' muse, and it's easy to overlook because it's also the first letter in the alphabet.  An artist becomes consumed with passion when they become inspired.  Historically, none of these great artists ever had more than one muse at the same time, they may have had more than one in succession, but again, not ever at the same time.

** "The muse in her purest aspect is the feminine part of the male artist, with which he must have intercourse if he is to bring into being a new work. She is the anima to his animus, the yin to his yang, except that, in a reversal of gender roles, she penetrates or inspires him and he gestates and brings forth, from the womb of the mind."

The idea of a muse is to penetrate the mind.  That is how inspiration is born.  It is impossible to have more than one muse at a time.  In fact, some artist will only ever have one muse - and it will be the foundation of all their inspiration for all of their work(even if they have multiple models sit for paintings).  It can be the source of all creativity and an act of the divine in itself. The muse must first be separate of the creative drive in order to inspire.  It gives meaning, invention, exposition and draws from intensity.  Having more than one muse, usually means the artist's work has changed, the message is different, new material and new communication.  Any true artist that finds themselves inspired by a muse will tell you that even genius is unable to focus on more than one muse at the same time. 

Don't call me a muse, if you're telling a few girls they are also a muse and spewing poetry at every girl.  I know more than I let on and I know less than I want to -

*The Role of the Artist's Muse - Germaine Greer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Universe

It will all be okay, it will.  I don’t know how, but I do know it will be okay. It may not be what we all think it should be, but it will be...